Falling Slowly: A Song I'm Crazy




I don't know you
But I want you
All the more for that
Words fall through me
And always fool me
And I can't react
And games that never amount
To more than they're meant
Will play themselves out

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice
You'll make it now

Falling slowly, eyes that know me
And I can't go back
Moods that take me and erase me
And I'm painted black
You have suffered enough
And warred with yourself
It's time that you won

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you had a choice
You've made it now
Falling slowly sing your melody
I'll sing along

__________________________________________

Falling Slowly is the theme song of the 2007 film entitled Once which starred Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, who also sang the said song.

My first encounter of this heart warming tune is when Kris Allen, an American Idol season eight finalist performed this during “Songs from the Cinema” week. I sat there amazed in front of the television scream and nonetheless speechless from the very beginning until the end of the piece, inculcating the lines to Google it after which. I may not yet know by then how the song was delivered by the original singers but the lyrics itself together with its placid melody caught me right then and there. The judges feedbacks on Kris’s performance based on it was also good amplifying my desire to search it on the Internet.

Then I discovered the song was the soundtrack of the movie “Once”. Before engaging myself to search the movie and splurge on it, I searched on how did the movie faired in reviews. To my astonishment, it rated 97% in rottentomatoes.com with truly amazing comments by respectable movie critics. With that fascinating rating and that harmonic soundtrack, I was on the verge of my seat looking for that movie.

After days of waiting I finally have a grasp of it and my sweet boyfriend and I watched it together. It’s not the usual Hollywood cinematographic view and the plot may be common. A musician who met a girl passing by to listen to his music and they ended up sharing the same passion they have. That is when the song “Falling Slowly” began when Glen and Marketa both go to a music store where Marketa plays piano. It was Glen who introduced the song to her humming every word and melody in the guitar while she pressed the piano to follow. One may even be amazed how easily Marketa picked everything and they both sang and played the song harmoniously. No wonder why this song won an Academy.

Aside from its melodramatic air, the lyrics are also very strong and wonderful. At first run you might not grasp its meaning but if you look very closely the lyrics itself is self explanatory. It all boils to how the man loves the girl but it was too late. The song itself is a mini replica of what the movie is all about. The song implies a love that is slowly falling but there was nothing to be done in the first place in spite on how you loved someone. In accordance with the movie (spoilers ahead), Glen sure have feelings for Marketa and so is the girl towards him. It might not be literally said in a conversational way but how they treated each others are enough evidences, especially the part where Glen gave Marketa a piano. But on the latter end of the movie, they didn’t became a couple and ended up going back to their former relationships.

Different interpretations had been given in line the song. But nevertheless, the lyrics are just so wonderful to ignore. Simple music with simple reflecting lines makes Falling Slowly a concoction of drama and reality that in a way or another we also once experience.


0 comments:

Post a Comment